Corporations face
challenges when encouraging entrepreneurship within their organizations. In my
opinion, I think that it is a good idea to encourage entrepreneurship within
corporations because it does give employees the opportunity to think
creatively, encourages them to want to be more ambitious, and in turn I think
it would yield better business results within the corporation. However, I think
there are some rules and boundaries that should be put into place. For example,
I know that just by working on my business plan for this class it had taken a
lot of my time, including some time during normal business hours within my
corporation. If I was the corporation, I’d be at risk of losing productivity
towards my company’s projects since time is being spent on other outside
projects instead. By setting rules to enforce company policy I think this can
be addressed. Overall, I think that by providing workers with specific time allotted
on a weekly basis (just like what UTC does for their employees scholar program)
is a good avenue to promote entrepreneurship but better manage the time spent
doing it.
It would be interesting if UTC allowed you purpose an idea or problem you would like to address and get dedicated time like the employee scholar time.
ReplyDeleteI know a group of volunteers within my work group, aimed at streamlining day to day interactions, ends up meeting on saturday mornings..... not a very inviting concept.
Our business is unique in that we are in traditional manufacturing which can sometimes stifle creativity. I like. Google's concept of allowing their emplooyees to persue creative ideas during company time. They allow up to 20% of the work day to be spent on creative and inovative ideas. In some respects we do this when we conduct root cause analysis. It encourages employees to come up with creative ways to solve problems. I think the creativity in American companies is what gives us an edge over other countries. Bottom line is, creativity is an integral part of having a commpetitive edge.
ReplyDelete